BUECI is committed to providing and maintaining safe, reliable utility services to our members. Safety awareness is built into everything from our daily operations to our weekly safety meetings and training programs. We want our members to be equally informed and aware of how to safely use electricity, natural gas, water services, something most of us take for granted.
Never leave your home unattended. When on vacation or leaving your home the following precautions should be taken.
- You should never leave your home unattended for any length of time, without someone to check on it. During the extreme cold temperatures (December – April), someone should check your home at least twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. During the warmer months (May –November) it should be checked at least once a day.
- Make sure the person watching your home is responsible enough to make the periodic checks required for the safety of your home. Show them where the water shut off valve is located inside the home. If they have any problems and/or questions they can contact BUECI at 907-852-6166 during business hours (8-5 Mon-Fri) or 907-852-3176 after hours.
- It is very important for the person watching your home to run the water for at least three (3) to four (4) minutes per day. This will prevent your sewer service lateral from freezing up and causing wastewater to back-up into the home. It is not a good idea to just flush the commode (toilet), this is not enough water to flush your sewer service lateral.
- If your going to be away from your home and can’t find anyone to care for it, then B.U.E.C.I. can come out and shut the water off in the service barrel and blow down the lines to your home for you. Water service will be re-stored upon your return.
- Never leave your home unattended while the clothes washer or dish washer is in operation. Make sure these units are turned off before leaving.
- If you notice that your drain lines are draining slowly and/or not draining properly, you may want to check the plumbing vent located on the roof to make sure it is free of ice.